Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Important Thing about Yelling?



Yelling is a guttural response and it rarely helps us achieve our goal of communication and change.  Whether our child is 6 and has spilled her cereal or is 16 and broken her phone - if we can resist the urge to scream we might just find a valuable teaching moment.


 So here's to New Year's resolution:

In the midst of my highly distracted life, I started a new practice that was quite different from the way I behaved up until that point. I became a yeller. It wasn’t often, but it was extreme—like an overloaded balloon that suddenly pops and makes everyone in earshot startle with fear.
So what was it about my then 3-year-old and 6-year-old children that caused me to lose it? Was it how she insisted on running off to get three more beaded necklaces and her favorite pink sunglasses when we were already late? Was it that she tried to pour her own cereal and dumped the entire box on the kitchen counter? Was it that she dropped and shattered my special glass angel on the hardwood floor after being told not to touch it? Was it that she fought sleep like a prizefighter when I needed peace and quiet the most? Was it that the two of them fought over ridiculous things like who would be first out of the car or who got the biggest dip of ice cream?


Read the full article- click here

No comments:

Post a Comment